Saturday, August 4, 2012

And Then There Was One.....

I've been single for nearly three years now.  It has not been glamorous and at times it has been far from gracious.  It's been sometimes messy and at other times it's been a downright train wreck.  But the beauty in it all....is that from day one I put the decision in God's hands.  I didn't do this out of any sort of desire to be devout. Far from it......I was scared.  To death.  Literally on many fronts, but spiritually most of all.

It was a warm evening in late summer, near dusk.  I was pacing a deck on a house that backed to acres upon acres of wilderness.  The sun was setting and the stars were starting to blossom in the night sky.  An unseasonably warm wind was blowing about, my hair whipping up now and again, my skirt getting caught at the wind's whim.  I had the means to leave, I had the opportunity, the timing was right...but I was so scared. I was scared of being on my own, scared of being alone, scared of hurting myself and my kids, and even my husband, scared of failing.  As I paced I argued and debated with myself all of the pros and cons until I thought myself in circles.

Finally, I just gave up.  I stopped pacing, I started crying...and I prayed.  This may not seem like a big deal, and to many of you it'd be a "no-brainer".  But this was my first real, conscious communication with God in years.  I had been very angry with God about many things.  So me making a desperate plea from a broken heart was equivalent to the destruction of the Berlin Wall.  It was no small thing and changed the course of my life. 

I put the whole mess of emotions, doubts, fears and shy hopes in God's hands.  I asked that He make the decision for me, and that He guide my path effortlessly in either direction, His choice, and I promised to obey.  All I asked for was love...that either way it would lead to the kind of love that I was missing and needed.   From that point forward a path unfolded in front of me that, within weeks, lead me right out the door of a marriage that was harmful not only to me, but to my husband and to my children.  I've had friends and acquaintances compliment me on my courage, my bravery and my grace in handling the departure.  I can claim none of that.  All I did was chicken out, God did the rest.  And I thank Him every day.

Since then, I've been traveling a lovely, messy, sometimes-gracious-but-sometimes-not path of healing.  Along that path I've regained Hope for a healthy, loving, intimate relationship with a wonderful man.  I thank God every day that he did not allow me to jump into another harmful relationship immediately, and there's been plenty of opportunity.  He has put a desire in my heart for the right relationship with the right man, and my heart is stubborn.

I have learned to deal with loneliness and longing, with aching for affection, with the need for companionship and intimacy you can only find in a loving relationship with a mate.  Today, I'm ok being single.  I'm ok being alone.  Because my stubborn heart is determined to wait.

Recently, I came across this song from my new favorite band, Little Big Town.  Today, I "Live with Lonesome" by choice.




No comments:

Post a Comment